The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Steven Holl

Conceptual Watercolor Painting of the Museum



One of my favorite architects is Steven Holl because he takes ordinary building sites and makes them extraordinary. In my opinion the way that he takes a conceptual water painting and constructs that into a built form really inspires me. I have always strived to take a conceptual drawing or sketch and try to closely relate that to my final iteration. Sometimes I have successfully done this and others I have come up short. I do like however that I can extract ideas from such an abstract work of art and incorporate those ideas into a built form. The pictures above are of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City. I like how this building flows with the natural landscape and is juxtaposed from the existing old museum by using channel glass compared to the heavy stone of the existing.

No comments:

Post a Comment